December 25, 2014

Youkai Watch is coming to europe!

News on Anime News Network

As you might already know, Level 5 president Akihiro Hino announced on the "Youkai Watch The Movie - The Birth Of A Secret, nya~!" opening event on Saturday, that the Youkai Watch anime will be broadcast oversees.

Mari asked in a comment if I will continue subbing Youkai Watch even if it's out in Europe.

Since I think this interest everyone of you, here is my answer:

I will definitely contine subbing Youkai Watch as long as no one official tells me I have to stop, since I think the same as Mari, so I'll put a quote of that comment here:

Mari:
"I am afraid that the European version will come with changed names, like Inazuma Eleven, and, more importantly, that all the explanations about Youkai will be modified to adapt it to a Western audience... This means losing a lot of the cultural references this anime offers, which is one of the aspects that makes it so special and intriguing."


4 comments:

  1. Well if there would be some sort of official sub, that's a bit sad of course because fansub have some some sort of magic but anyway nowadays these subs seem to be fine mostly (though usually you can't buy them outside U.S. which is strange)

    If there is only dub though, that's totally different kind of story, if you look at Pokemon for example, which is being actively fansubbed currently and work of the subbers is greatly appreciated because it's the setting where like almost every name is changed in dub so it feels totally different in Japanese version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you'll keep fansubbing this series! Hooray!!!

    Of course I'll try supporting this series in the best way possible, by buying the videogame and any merchandise I may like as soon as they are available in my Country! As I said in my previous comment, my concern is only about cultural matters. I also believe that many jokes will be difficult to translate, also because some of them are connected to Japanese culture, and this may result in an adaptation less funny than the original... and being hilarious is another of the key aspects of why I love this anime!

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! ^u^ I hope it comes to the U.S. soon, and thank you for still subbing Youkai Watch.
    I always look forward to new translated episodes from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a good news *^*

    ReplyDelete